Thursday, May 24, 2012

DIY Fabric Softener

This weekend, we finally picked our HE washer and dryer up from my mother's house.  We had left them there until we could figure out something to do with the washer and dryer that were already in our new house. 


I started thinking......   I need some fabric softener.  Being the DIY crazy lady I've turned into lately, I decided to google different recipes to make my own. 


I found several different recipes but here's what I put together: 
3 cups warm water
1 1/2 cups white vinegar      
1 cup conditioner
1 Storage Container (I used a leftover spring water bottle..  Simply rubbed peanut butter over the sticky label, let it sit for about 15 minutes and scrubbed with a wet sponge to remove the glue)


The water is better warm so it helps dissolve the conditioner.


*You simply add all ingredients into a bowl and stir* 

 I had to use a slightly larger bowl than the original one in the first picture :)  Looks like I under-estimated how much I was making. 

Pour it into whatever container you wish you store your fabric softener into... 
Voila..  Fabric Softener!!  It looks great, smells great... has a great consistency.  Today, I'm doing several loads of laundry.  I'll update after I do a few loads and tell you what I think!  The process was simple enough.  Can it really be that easy to make good fabric softener?  I'll let you know in a little bit..

Btw: If you want to make a little more, just double all ingredients.  Even for the mathmatically challenged, this one should be pretty easy to figure out :)


UPDATE:  I've finished about 4 loads of laundry since I made the fabric softener.  It works great as far as keeping the clothes soft and static free.  It has a nice, slight scent.  For those of you who don't like a strong scent, this would be perfect!  For me, I like a little stronger scent.  I may try to add a little scent into the next batch I make.  Maybe some lavender oil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment