Thursday, June 14, 2012

Gotta buy more bathroom cleaner? DON'T! Clean your bathroom the homemade way.


Today, I decided to tackle my bathrooms...  I've been putting it off all week because I just knew it was going to take me hours with sponges, rags, toilet cleaner, tub/shower cleaner, glass cleaner, disinfectant, tile/grout cleaner, etc.  The list goes on and on and on and on.......  With 5 people in my house, 3 being boys, the bathrooms get disgusting.  I generally clean the bathrooms once a week, minus the typical pickup, but that still doesn't seem like enough and the cost of cleaners gets outrageous. 

Enough is ENOUGH....   Back before they had all these millions of different types of cleaners, people still had clean bathrooms, right??  I remember going to my grandmother's house and it always being so clean and fresh but I never saw tons of chemical filled cleaners.  She always had vinegar and baking soda though.  With remembering that, here's what I came up with to clean my bathroom:

Tub/Shower: 50/50 water & vinegar.  Mix in a spray bottle, spray and wipe clean.  It easily wipes soap scum away.  If you have any real tough spots, make a paste of baking soda & water to apply to the stain OR wet stain with water, sprinkle baking soda to area & spray with vinegar solution.  When it foams, scrub the area with your micro fiber sponge/towel. 
Countertops: Same as Tub/Shower.  Half vinegar and Half water.
Toilets: Sprinkle some Baking Soda down the drain (you won't need much), pour in 1 cup of white, distilled vinegar.  It will foam up (like your old volcano science project as a child).  Scrub the inside of your toilet with your toilet brush and the foam.  Your toilet will sparkle! I use the vinegar/water spray to clean the outside of the toilet.
Mirrors: Vinegar & Water spray.  Clean with pieces of an old T-Shirt or Micro Fiber Sponges or Towels.  Paper towels don't work so well using this cleaning method.  This works better than my Windex!! 
Floors: I have tile floor in my bathrooms.  50/50 vinegar & water works GREAT at cleaning the spots/dirt while leaving my floor sparkling

To sum it up, to clean your bathroom you need this:
Vinegar, Baking Soda, Water, micro fiber towel/sponge (essential oils, optional) 
That's it!  Vinegar disinfects as it cleans, naturally, so you won't need to use any extra antibacterial or disinfectant cleaners. 

If you want to leave your bathroom smelling nicely after the vinegar dries & the pickle smell goes away, simply add 10-15 drops of your favorite essential oil to your spray bottle.  The pickly vinegar smell will disappear as it dries, leaving the great scent of your essential oil.  I, personally, don't like citrus much and love the smell of lavendar, so that's what I used.  I love having the relaxing, lingering smell of lavendar floating through my house :) 

If you try this and have comments, suggestions or anything to add, I'd love to hear from you! 

If you like my posts, don't forget to sign up to get my posts via email by putting your email in the "follow by email" area to the right.  I promise, your email goes nowhere but here.  Your email is confidential  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment